About the University of Southern California
The University of Southern California is a leading private research university located in Los Angeles, USA. The university is a global center for arts, technology and business management. The University of Southern California was founded by Judge Robert Maclay Widney. He formed a trustee board in 1879 and secured donations of 308 land lots as a donation from John G. Downey, Ozro W. Childs and Isias W. Hellman. The institution started in 1880 with ten teachers and 53 students.
Today, it has more than 4,400 full-time faculty members and 49,500 students on its rolls. The University of Southern California acceptance rate is 16.1% as of 2020. It has several courses on accounting, arts and design, letters, arts and sciences, technology and business, cinematic arts, dramatic arts, dance, engineering, education, pharmacy, physical therapy, law, medicine, music, social work, and dentistry and other disciplines. Some famous alumni of the University of Southern California include writer-director George Lucas (Star Wars fame), producers Lori Forte, Matthew Weiner and Jon Landau (Titanic fame) and actress Paula Patton and producer Laura Ziskin (The Butler). Other notable alumni include astronaut Neil Armstrong, comedian and producer Will Ferrell, Barron Hilton co-chairman of Hilton Hotels, Devita Saraf, founder at Vu Technologies, Zeenat Aman, iconic Indian model and actress, and many other names from the world of entertainment like Ron Howard, O.J. Simpson, Forest Whitaker and Kelly Preston.
Address of University of Southern California
The University of Southern California is located in Los Angeles, CA 90007.
Public/Private Status of University of Southern California
The University of Southern California is a private university.
QS World University Rankings and Other Rankings
The University of Southern California ranking in the QS World University list is 112. The university has won several laurels over the years.
Top Offered Courses by University of Southern California
The popular courses at the University of Southern California include journalism and communications, engineering, education, arts and international studies, business, tourism and events, medical and health sciences, law and criminology, environmental studies, and nursing. The approximate undergraduate University of Southern California fees are $60,446.
Required Exams to study at University of Southern California
These are some of the examinations interested students need to appear for University of Southern California admissions.
Admission Requirements for University of Southern California
Here is the general University of Southern California requirements for admissions:
- GMAT/GRE scores depend on the program a student chooses.
- CV/Resume, showcasing your academic and extracurricular achievements.
- Recommendation Letters.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degrees for admission depending on the course applied for (Masters or PhD).
- Mark sheets and academic transcripts (semester-wise) and consolidated with all degree and diploma certificates.
- TOEFL/IELTS/PTE scores for proving English language proficiency.
- TOEFL (or TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition) with a minimum score of 100 while scoring at least 20 in each section.
- Score 7 band in IELTS (or IELTS Indicator).
- Score 68 in PTE score
- Score 650 in the SAT Evidence-Based Reading and Writing section.
- Score 27 in the ACT English section.
- The USC administration does not accept TOEFL ITP Plus for China.
- You do not have to provide English language proficiency tests if you have studied a bachelor’s degree in a country where English is the native language, and the medium of education was English.
- Those with their native language as English do not have to submit their scores in English language proficiency tests. This will apply to aspirants from the UK, Canada, New Zealand and Australia.
- English language proficiency guidelines are not waived by the institution on other parameters like ESL enrollment, professional experience, etc.
Scholarships Available at the University of Southern California
Here are some of the scholarship options available for students:
- Black Alumni Association Professional Graduate Student Scholarship: The USC Black Alumni Association (BBA) is a tax-deductible 501(c)3 organization that provides partial tuition scholarships annually to undergraduate and graduate students of USC. The scholarships are awarded to the university students based on academic and personal merit, in addition to demonstrating involvement within the African-American community. The scholarship awards $3,000/ annually (average) for undergraduate students and $1,000/annually (average) for graduate students.
- 2022 USC Dream Dollars Scholarship Program: The scholarship is awarded to undergraduate students of the university who secure unpaid summer internships with a non-profit or government organization. The program rewards a scholarship of $1,500 to selected candidates.
- Dean’s Superintendents Advisory Group (DSAG) Scholarship: This is a competitive scholarship open to enrolled Doctor of Education in Educational Leadership (EDL) and Doctor of Education in Educational Leadership online (EDL online) students who aspire to become superintendents. The scholarship is a minimum $10,000 award, and scholarship recipients will be recognized at the annual DSAG Awards dinner (date TBD).
- 2022 USC First Generation Scholarship Program: This Scholarship is a monetary award for first-generation students who secure unpaid summer internships. An award of $2,000 is provided to selected students.
- Geodesign Fellows: The Geodesign Fellows Program is open to sophomores and juniors who are committed to helping others and building solutions for some of the world’s most serious and vexing problems.
- Los Angeles Philanthropic Foundation: LAPF Scholarships are Awarded to Students at Ten of the Finest Private Colleges and Universities in Southern California.
- Interfraternity Parents’ Council (IFPC) Scholarship: The USC Interfraternity Parents’ Council Scholarship is open to any continuing undergraduate student who will be a senior in the 2022-2023 academic year and also must meet the following criteria:
- Must have scored a minimum GPA of 3.0 and have taken at least 12 units each semester.
- Your fraternity must be a dues-paying member of the IFPC in order for you to be considered for the scholarship.
- Your Fraternity Status must be “Active and Good Standing.”
About Placements at University of Southern California
71% of graduates from the institution take up full-time employment opportunities, while 8% choose to pursue higher education. The leading employers include Google, Intel, Facebook, Amazon, Microsoft, Qualcomm, SpaceX, Oracle, Accenture, Abbott Laboratories, ACG, Acumen, LLC, Haier, Adobe Systems, HBO, HAJOCA Corporation, Hachette Book Group, Harvest Home, Healthcare Partners, Hearst Television, Health Career Connection, Bain & Company, BAE Systems, BBDO SF, BD (Becton, Dickinson & Company), Baker Tilly US, Beyond Limits, Cisco, Bellwether Asset Management, Cintas Corporation, City of Los Angeles- Council District 8 and Bureau of Engineering, Clark Construction Group LLC, Coca Cola, CNN, Gallagher, General Electric, Gates Ventures, Garmin International, General Electric Healthcare, GCA Advisors, Gerson Lehrman Group and more.
How to study MS in USA
Scholarships for MS in USA
Why USA for Masters
Eligibility for MS in USA for Indian students
MBA in USA Without Work Experience
MBA in USA for Indian Students
STEM Courses in USA