The University of Hawaii (UH) at Manoa is an educational institution offering over 200 programs across several fields. It is a public university. Established in 1907, it has a vast campus of over 320 acres. Currently, the institution has over 20,000 students enrolled in various academic programs.
The University of Hawai‘i at Manoa, USA is located on Oahu Island, outside Honolulu downtown. There are a total of 18 academic departments, offering a culturally diverse environment for students to thrive. Here, you can pick your preferred stream out of 99 different majors, 87 graduate majors, 52 doctoral degrees, and 5 first-professional degrees available.
The official address of the university is as follows:
2500 Campus Rd, Honolulu, HI 96822, United States
The University of Hawai‘i at Manoa’s ranking tally is quite impressive. It is ranked at 380th position as per the QS World University Rankings 2023. Additionally, it stands in the 376th position as per the US World and News Report 2022. According to international and national organizations, the institution is also one of the top 2% names in the rankings list.
Infrastructure of The University of Hawai‘i at Manoa
The university has one of the largest and oldest campuses out of 10 UH buildings. It offers off-campus and on-campus housing facilities for all students. Additionally, there are all the basic amenities such as:
- Student Housing
- Dining Services
- Student Organizations
- Commuter Services
- Manoa Bookstore
The institution also includes four different libraries for students:
- Hamilton Library
- JABSOM Health Sciences
- Law Library
- Institute for Astronomy
The University of Hawai‘i at Manoa is well-renowned for its research in various fields. Some of the research centers and institutes are:
- Joint Institute for Marine & Atmospheric Research
- Center for Island, Maritime, and Extreme Environment Security
- Pacific Center for Emerging Infectious Diseases Research
- Hawaiʻi Institute of Marine Biology
- International Pacific Research Center
Lastly, the medium of education at the university is English.
Academics at The University of Hawai‘i at Manoa
The University of Hawai‘i at Manoa’s admission process is quite simple and is live twice a year, i.e., during the starting of the Spring and Fall semesters. Along with the application, students are supposed to include a fee of $70. The admission form is available on the university’s official website and can be filled out accordingly.
The University of Hawai‘i at Manoa’s admission requirements are as follows:
- A minimum of 3.74 GPA in your high school class.
- Average SAT score of 1178 or average ACT score of 24.
- For transfer students, more than 24 credits are required. If not, your college and school work is considered. Here, you must meet the eligibility criteria for both first-year and transfer students. The GPA requirements for Hawaii and non-Hawaii residents are 2.00 and 2.50, respectively.
- International students must have a GPA comparable to US grade B. Additionally, the candidate must prove their English proficiency by submitting a minimum IELTS score of 5 (applied through English Language Institute) or 7 (ELI Exempt).
The University of Hawai‘i at Manoa’s acceptance rate is 62%. It means for every 100 applications; only 62 are selected. Unlike other institutes, this institution does not prefer early applications.
Courses Offered at The University of Hawai‘i at Manoa
The UH at Manoa offers a range of courses for students to select from. The complete catalog is listed on the university website and details the requirements for each course.
Some of the top subjects at the undergraduate level are:
- Life Sciences and Medicine
- Environmental Earth Science
- Fashion Design and Merchandising
- Food Science and Human Nutrition
Undergraduate certificate courses are available in the following categories:
- Business Administration
- Atmospheric Sciences
- American Studies
- Hawaiian Language Immersion Education
- Plant Production and Management
Some of the leading subjects at the postgraduate level are:
- Asian Studies
- Athletic Training
- Biomedical Sciences
- Cell and Molecular Biology
- Development and Reproductive Biology
Some doctorate-level courses are:
- Curriculum and Instruction
- Kinesiology and Rehabilitation Science
- Natural Resources and Environmental Management
- Ocean and Resources Engineering
Credit System at the University of Hawai‘i at Manoa
The minimum credits for undergraduate courses are 120 (45 upper-division (300+ level)). For graduate courses, a student must obtain A, B, or C grades to meet the credit hour requirements set by the university.
Academic Calendar of the University of Hawai‘i at Manoa
The college academic calendar for Fall 2022 is as follows:
- August 22: First day of introduction
- September 13: Last day to drop courses
- December 12-16: Final examination
- December 16: Semester ends
Some of the primary inclusions are:
- August 19: Statehood Day
- September 5: Labor Day
- November 8: Election Day
- November 11: Veterans Day
- November 24: Thanksgiving
- December 26: Christmas
Extracurriculars and Diversity at the University of Hawai‘i at Manoa
With around 20,000 students on campus, the university has a 6% international population from 140 nations worldwide. Out of this 6%, over 35% of students belong to Asian regions. When it comes to gender diversity, there are 42% male students and 58% female students. This means that you can expect a multicultural learning environment around the university.
There are several student organizations and sororities for students to indulge in. Interested candidates are free to join any bands, clubs, chorus groups, theatres, radio, the campus newspaper, etc. Additionally, there are numerous athletic options to pursue like sailing, basketball, swimming, golf, etc.
Career/ Professionals at The University of Hawai‘i at Manoa
The University of Hawai‘i at Manoa has deep-industry links that provide students with ample opportunities to pursue their choice of career after graduating. The Manoa Career Center is a dedicated organization that hosts events, career fairs, podcasts, etc., helping students keep up with the industry requirements.
Students can also avail themselves of virtual career counseling sessions to clear any impending doubts about their future employment. Additionally, the online portal allows employers to register any vacant positions on the website and hire students relevant to their field. The portal includes a job database open to be accessed by all students.
Several students also seek employment inside the university campus to keep a healthy balance between their academic and professional life. Students can also get help with CV writing, mock interviews, personalized guidance, etc.
The university has nurtured several famous alumni over the years such as:
- Bette Midler- American singer, comedian, actress, and film producer.
- Gordon Cooper- American test pilot, aerospace engineer, USAF pilot, and youngest astronaut in Project mercury.
- Abbas Milani- An author and Iranian-American historian.
- Michael Savage- American radio personality and host.
The University of Hawai‘i at Manoa : Financials
Compared to other academic institutions in the USA, the University of Hawai‘i at Manoa’s fees amount is more expensive for out-of-state students. However, the amount may vary based on the area of jurisdiction and other external factors.
The table below depicts the tuition fee and other expenses each student will have to incur while studying at the University of Hawai ‘i at Manoa. The data is divided as per resident, Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE), and non-resident students.
Book and Supplies
Room and Board
Students can also seek financial aid by applying for scholarships, grants, loans, federal work-study, and payment plans.
✓End to end Visa/Application support