PTE or Pearson Test of English is a computer-based examination that evaluates the English proficiency of candidates planning to immigrate to an English-speaking country. The tests include the Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic, PTE General, and PTE Young Learners. One must also be aware of the basic PTE exam eligibility criteria.
The PTE Academic examination measures the English speaking, writing, reading, and listening skills of students. And only the PTE Academic is accepted for visa purposes. It is a single 3-hours-long English language test, accepted by governments and universities worldwide. Therefore, PTE is a mandatory examination taken by international students for admission in various study abroad programs.
PTE exam eligibility
There are no specific PTE exam eligibility criteria set by Pearson VUE – the organizers of the test. However, there are some basic guidelines.
- Eligibility for several attempts: Applicants can take the test as many times as they want. There is no limit to the number of attempts. Students can appear for the examination till they achieve the desired score. However, it is an expensive examination and students must attempt it after proper preparation.
- Eligibility for academic qualifications: PTE exam eligibility does not mention any minimum educational qualification for applicants. There is no minimum requirement in degrees or percentages. Students need to have a good command of the English language.
- Eligibility of age criteria: There is no maximum or minimum age limit or criteria that need to be fulfilled by the test takers. Students below 18 years need to submit parental consent at the time of registration. The consent form can be downloaded from the official website of the PTE Academic.
- Eligibility for documentation: Students need to carry their valid passports during registration and while writing the test. If students don’t have a passport, they need to produce any national photo ID proof like a government-issued driving license, national identification card, or military identification card.
PTE or Pearson Test of English is a standardized English language proficiency examination accepted by a wide network of universities globally and for visa purposes. It is a computer-based test that evaluates the English speaking, writing, reading, and listening skills of non-native English speakers. The examination has no official eligibility criteria in terms of age, number of attempts, and academic requirements. It is widely accepted by reputed international educational institutions and helps international students easily get admission and visa approvals. For more details on PTE exam eligibility, connect with the counselors of upGrad Abroad.
PTE Exam Eligibility: FAQs
- Who can appear for the PTE examination?
The PTE test is taken by students to study in English-speaking countries. The test scores make it easy for students to get visas and admission to reputed universities and colleges. Everyone can appear for this examination, as there are no official age or academic eligibility criteria set for applicants appearing for the examination. However, candidates below 18 years of age need to submit a parental consent form signed by either parents or guardians before taking the test.
- What is the age limit?
PTE examination is open to all English proficiency examinations that have no minimum or maximum age limit. However, young students below 18 years need to produce a consent letter from parents while applying for the examination. Considering the level of examination, the test is an ideal one for students above the high school level.
- What is the PTE eligibility for re- attempts?
The PTE examination is conducted around the year. There is no official limit on the number of attempts. Students can retake the examination till they attain the desired score. For re-attempts, students need to wait for 5 days before appearing for the next examination.
- What is the cost of registering for the PTE examination?
The registration fee of the PTE examination is Rs 13,700 inclusive of 18% education tax. The exam registration fee is expensive, and therefore students are recommended to limit the attempts and prepare well before taking the test.