From excellent graduation rates to resourceful research project funding, the University of Utah claims a prestigious place through its ranking and recognition.
As of Fall 2021, the university admitted 35,000 students, with a 72% increase in the diversity rate. With its #2 ranking in Innovation impact productivity and lowest tuition fee in and out of the state, the university is becoming a great destination to pursue higher studies.
It offers over 200 graduate degrees, and one such excellent offering is the MS in Computer Science at the University of Utah.
MS in CS at University of Utah will allow you to learn both the advanced theory and necessary application of computer sciences.
Besides the evident problem-solving and reasoning skills, you will also learn all the latest programming languages, computer architecture, artificial intelligence, software engineering, and algorithm design.
What’s impressive is the University of Utah Computer Science ranking, which falls between 301-350 ranks as per the QS university ranking.
About MS in CS at University of Utah
Interested in the theory, systems, and hardware of Computer Sciences? An MS in Computer Science at the University of Utah is quite a great option to further your career.
This course will allow you to:
- Gain mastery of topics related to computer science along with any topic you chose for your project/thesis
- Conduct thorough investigations and push ahead of the state-of-the-art in any academic, government, or industrial area of computer science depending on your thesis selection
- Gain experience in studies of computer science through participation in extensive research
- Adapt and ascertain unique developments in the state-of-the-art technologies
You can pursue the master’s course through three varied options:
Usually, the course will run through 4 semesters (2 years). You can also extend your timeline with the 5th semester if need be.
To attain a successful master’s degree in Computer Science, it is essential to undertake 3 required courses:
- Graduate Algorithms
- Operating Systems
- Computer Architecture
Within the 3 required courses, there are several substitution subjects that you can choose from:
1. Graduate Algorithms
- Theory of Computation
- Computational Geometry
2. Operating Systems
- Embedded System Design
- Distributed Systems
- Advanced Database Systems
- Advanced Operating System Implementation
- Network Security
- Advanced Computer Networks
3. Computer Architecture
- Advanced Computer Architecture
- Digital VLSI Design
- VLSI Architecture
- Computer-Aided Design of Digital Circuits
- Advanced Digital VLSI Systems Design
- Testing and Verification of Digital Circuits
- Synthesis and Verification of Asynchronous VLSI Systems
To fulfil your MS in Computer Science at the University of Utah, you need to fulfil 30 credit hours of graduate coursework. This will include a seminar, thesis, or independent study.
Additionally, 18 credit hours should be of graduate-level (6000 or above) for the Computer Science course.
Let’s take a look at specific credit hours required when you choose different options to fulfil your master’s degree:
Minimum of 6 and maximum of 9 thesis research credits
Minimum 3 and maximum 6 seminar credit hours
Minimum 30 credits required
Are you keen to apply to the School of Computing to pursue a master’s in Computer Science? Then, you need to know all the correct eligibility requirements to make your application.
- Minimum 4 years of bachelor’s study and a degree from a regionally accredited university or college
- The minimum GPA is 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) test scores are optional, but if you are submitting it, make sure the test scores are valid
English Language Proficiency
- International students whose first language is not English need to provide test scores of IELTS (minimum score of 6.5) or TOEFL (minimum score of 105 in IBT and 25 in speaking)
- Make sure the test scores are valid at the time of making your application
- TOEFL scores are preferred, but IELTS is also acceptable
Pursuing higher education at the University of Utah is no longer a far-fetched dream. Let’s know more about the proper admission process so you can follow your dreams of studying in abroad.
To pursue MS in CS at University of Utah, you can only apply online via the website of the School of Computing. The applications generally close down by the mid of December.
For Fall 2022, the University of Utah MS in CS deadline concluded on December 15, 2021.
The submissions of all supporting documents also happen through the online system. The acceptance will be sent through e-mail from mid-February to mid-March if selected.
Documents Required for Admission
Here’s a list of essential documents required to support your application and for proper consideration:
- Academic transcripts for evaluation – official copies are only required once the application is accepted
- GRE test scores
- TOEFL or IELTS scores for English proficiency proof (only for international students)
- 1-3 pages long, single spaced Statement of Purpose
- 3 letters of recommendation from academic professors
- Resume or CV – the most recent one
- Any publications, research papers, or awards received linked to your Statement of Purpose
- Passport (only for international students)
- Application Fee of $45 and a late fee of $30 if submissions are made after the deadline
- Financial support documents for I-20 (only for international students)
Cost of Attendance
Your dream of studying abroad will only see the light of the day if you plan it right. With the correct knowledge bout fees and living costs, you can make the necessary arrangements.
The University of Utah MS in CS fees falls around $15,030 per academic year.
Let’s take a look at the breakdown of the annual living costs for international students pursuing education at the University of Utah:
International student fee
International orientation fee (one-time charge)
Graduate non-resident tuition
Matriculation fee (one-time charge)
Source: University website
As per various job portals, computer science majors from Utah go on to jobs making an average of $104,000 per year.
Last Class Profile
The School of Computing has a 38% acceptance rate which is moderately less. Hence, you would have to make a good fight to get admitted to the university.
Study in USA with upGrad Abroad
upGrad Abroad has collaborated with Edgewood College, University of Bridgeport, Johnson & Wales University, Clark University and Yeshiva University to offer unique blended programs that help you gain a US degree at an affordable cost. To know more, get in touch with our counsellors.
Frequently Asked Questions
The University of Utah extends itself through the School of Computing to offer studies in Computer Science. It’s a well-recognized school known for its excellent scientific results and academic commitment. According to the US News & World Report’s Affordability Rankings, Utah is in the 34th position regarding its standard of living. It’s a decently expensive state in the US and will offer you a great living experience. The acceptance rate for the University of Utah is 79.4% which is decently good and allows a great chance for you to get into! Yes! The Academic Excellence Scholarships at the University of Utah offer to pay for full tuition for up to 18 hours every semester. This began at the beginning of 2020 Fall. Moreover, this scholarship coverage will extend to a maximum of 8 semesters or until the student receives their baccalaureate degree, whichever happens first.
Q1. Is the University of Utah good for Computer Science?
Q2. How expensive is Utah?
Q3. What is the overall acceptance rate for the University of Utah?
Q4. Does the University of Utah offer scholarships?
The University of Utah extends itself through the School of Computing to offer studies in Computer Science. It’s a well-recognized school known for its excellent scientific results and academic commitment.
According to the US News & World Report’s Affordability Rankings, Utah is in the 34th position regarding its standard of living. It’s a decently expensive state in the US and will offer you a great living experience.
The acceptance rate for the University of Utah is 79.4% which is decently good and allows a great chance for you to get into!
Yes! The Academic Excellence Scholarships at the University of Utah offer to pay for full tuition for up to 18 hours every semester. This began at the beginning of 2020 Fall.
Moreover, this scholarship coverage will extend to a maximum of 8 semesters or until the student receives their baccalaureate degree, whichever happens first.
Top Universities in the USA
University of North Carolina Chapel Hill
University of Connecticut
Oregon State University
Georgia Institute of Technology
San Jose State University
Top Universities in the USA
✓End to end Visa/Application support