The University of Maryland, College Park produces global talent powerhouses in research, entrepreneurship, and innovation. The institution houses over 40,700 students, 14,000 teaching faculty and staff, and approximately 400,000 alumni.
The university, located just outside of Washington, DC, is known for its research and offerings in academics. Notably, the arts and sciences as well as athletics.
Moreover, it holds one of the highest positions among universities in America. Its offerings in Computer Science have been ranked number 17 by the US News and World Report 2022. Additionally, they ranked it at number 59 among all national universities.
Meanwhile, the Forbes University of Maryland, College Park’s Computer Science ranking was 14 among all public universities in the US in 2022.
Master’s courses at the University of Maryland follow the same comprehensive curriculum as their Ph.D. programs. Students can apply from a thesis and a non-thesis option, yet research remains a mandatory requirement.
For regular applicants, the course lasts two years. However, a UMD Computer Science candidate who qualifies for the Combined BS/MS program might be able to finish the degree in one year.
Students eligible for the program must list their degree intent as the Combined BS/MS program during application.
Modules of MS in Computer Science at University of Maryland, College Park
The Computer Science Department at the University of Maryland, College Park, has extensive research programs in the following areas:
- Software Engineering
- Artificial Intelligence
- Human-Computer Interaction
- Database Systems
- Geometric Computing
- Algorithms and Computation Theory
- Programming Languages
- Scientific Computing
- Computer Vision
- Computer Systems and Networking
Moreover, applicants can also enrol in more sophisticated computer science courses by opting for one of four offered courses. These are:
- Applied Graduate Engineering (MAGE)
- Masters in Telecommunications (ENTS)
- Professional Masters in Machine Learning or Data Science via the UMD Science Academy
- Master’s programs via the iSchool
In addition to these Master’s courses, the UMD Science Academy also offers certificate courses in Data Science.
Admissions at the University of Maryland, College Park
Listed below is the tentative University of Maryland, College Park MS in CS deadline, based on deadlines from the previous year.
- Spring Semester: First week of October
- Fall Semester: Mid-December
The admission process for an MS in Computer Science at the University of Maryland, College Park is pretty standard.
- Start by reviewing the admissions criteria and deadlines for the program.
- Examine the academic policies of the Graduate School.
- Complete the application on the TerpEngage Graduate Admissions System and upload all required documentation.
- Submit the non-refundable application fee of USD 75.
- On completing these steps, keep an eye on the application status. In addition, immediately start applying for grants and funding.
Students who opt for the non-thesis program must complete 30 credits of coursework, comprehensive exams, and a research paper. Alternatively, the thesis option requires learners to complete 24 credits worth of coursework and 6 credits worth of Master’s thesis research.
Eligibility for MS in Computer Science at University of Maryland, College Park
MS in Computer Science at the University of Maryland, College Park has few basic eligibility requirements. They have been listed below.
- Students must hold a Bachelor’s degree from a state-approved university or college (or an equivalent from a foreign institution).
- Applicants should have a good foundation in mathematics and information technology to enter the program.
- To be eligible for the Computer Science program, students must have a 3.5 GPA (on a 4.0 scale).
Documents Required for Admission
The list of documents for admission to MS in CS at the University of Maryland, College Park is as follows:
- Official Graduate Application
- Statement of Purpose
- Marks Transcripts
- Three Letters of Recommendation
- Proof of English Language Proficiency
Listed below are some optional documents for admission to MS in CS at the University of Maryland, College Park.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scorecard
- GRE Subject scorecard
- Miller Analogies Test scorecard
- Publications or Presentations Papers
Note: All of these records are completely optional when applying for the MS in CS at the University of Maryland, College Park. However, they do give an edge to the application. So, consider submitting proof of publications, etc., when applying for the program.
English Language Proficiency
In case an applicant does not have a degree from a US college or one of the English-speaking nations listed on the website, they must provide TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE scores.
On the contrary, a US resident with a foreign degree may be asked to present proof of English proficiency if they graduated outside the US.
The minimum scores required for an MS in Computer Science at the University of Maryland, College Park are:
- iBT TOEFL: 96
- IELTS: 7 (overall)
- PTE: 68
The University of Maryland, College Park’s MS in CS fees is USD 38,638. This is the cost of attendance and includes health centre fees, student activities charges, technology fees, transport, athletics, and others.
Placements for MS in Computer Science at University of Maryland, College Park
Rapid digitization has encouraged many to apply to science programs. Those, especially in Computer Science courses, have found great opportunities. The possibility of finding lucrative employment opportunities only expands when one graduate from a college as prestigious as the University of Maryland.
Top employers of graduates from UMD include:
- National Security Agency,
- The Central Intelligence Agency,
- The Federal Bureau of Investigation,
- The US Department of State
- The Smithsonian Institution
Study Abroad with upGrad Abroad:
upGrad Abroad offers flexible study solutions to help aspirants achieve their foreign education dreams through collaborations with top international universities. You can pursue the most in-demand courses at one-fifth the cost. To know more, get in touch with our counsellors at.
Frequently Asked Questions
The cost of attendance for studying MS in CS at the university is roughly USD 39,000. It includes health center fees, student activities charges, technology fees, transport, athletics, and others. The applicant has to have a relevant bachelor’s degree and the expected Grade Point Average of 3.5, along with the stated proof of English Proficiency.
Q1. How much does studying MS in CS at the University of Maryland, College Park cost?
Q2. What are the minimum requirements for applicants at the University of Maryland?
The cost of attendance for studying MS in CS at the university is roughly USD 39,000. It includes health center fees, student activities charges, technology fees, transport, athletics, and others.
The applicant has to have a relevant bachelor’s degree and the expected Grade Point Average of 3.5, along with the stated proof of English Proficiency.
✓End to end Visa/Application support