The International English Language Testing System, or IELTS, is an international standardized test taken by non-native English speakers to migrate, study and work in English-speaking countries. Both IELTS Academic and General Training has four sections- Writing, Speaking, Reading, and Listening. The writing section of IELTS Academic and General Training is similar.
The Writing section is a compulsory section with two tasks. Task 2 of the writing section is essay writing and covers the majority of the writing score. IELTS writing task 2 section focuses on evaluating the applicant’s ability to write a response that is in sync with the terms of content, ideas, the accuracy of vocabulary, and grammar. Task 2 is a descriptive essay-type question based on socio-culture affairs and contemporary social issues. Listed below are all the common IELTS Writing Task 2 topics and types of essays in the IELTS examination.
Types of essay questions in IELTS Writing Task 2
Writing task 2 in IELTS is descriptive essay writing. The applicants are supposed to write an essay in response to the statement or situation given in the essay. There are various types of questions and applicants must practice all the types to write a winning essay on the examination day. Here are various types of essay questions that are mostly asked in writing task 2:
- The essay needs to be based on facts and figures. It is an informative essay where information, facts, numbers, and relevant details are required to be written. To write an essay of this particular type, applicants must have good knowledge about commonly heard and used topics.
- Give reasons for an issue or problem. A problem will be stated in the question and applicants need to provide the probable causes and reasons for the problems. The reasons should be relevant.
- Give solutions to problems. Essay topics will outline a specific problem. Applicants will be asked to address the best solutions to stop or solve problems.
- Evaluate evidence and ideas. The applicants need to write an essay based on factual evidence, present ideas, and past experiences.
- Agree and disagree statement questions. A particular statement will be given as a question. Now, applicants are supposed to either agree or disagree with the statement. Whatever be the response, the justification should be given, like if you agree with the statement then why. Opinion for agreeing with a particular statement should be in the essay.
- Advantages and disadvantages of a particular thing. The question can be related to underlining the advantages and disadvantages of a particular thing. Here, applicants need to draft an essay with both advantages and disadvantages and cannot lay an opinion or be reasonable. It will be informative.
- Explain why a particular situation has occurred. If any situation has been stated, applicants need to write an essay stating the reasons behind an occurrence.
Some very common IELTS Writing Task 2 topics
IELTS Writing Task 2 is essay writing. It is a 250-word essay and the time allotted is 40 minutes. Listed below are some of the very common IELTS essay topics. The essay question may change but the subject of the essay will remain unchanged. Each topic will have subtopics that the IELTS test takers must prepare. Start developing ideas and understanding by practicing the most common IELTS essay topics to write a winning essay within the time limit for a band 8.
Art and design
- For a long time, art has been considered an essential part of all cultures in the world. However, nowadays people’s values have changed, and we tend to consider science, technology, and business more important than arts. What do you think are the causes of this? What can be done to draw people’s attention to art?
- Studying art in school improves students’ performance in other subjects because it is easier for multi-skilled students to learn new things. That’s why art should be obligatory in schools. Do you agree or disagree?
- Students work while studying. This often results in lacking time for education and constantly feeling under pressure. What do you think are the causes of this? What solutions can you suggest?
- Some people argue that girls and boys should be educated separately, while others think that it is more advantageous for children to study at the same school. What is your opinion?
- In today’s world of advanced science and technology, many still highly value artists such as musicians, painters, and writers. What can art tell us about life that science cannot?
Communication and Personality
- Technology and communication
- Family and communication
- Face to face and long-distance communication
- Development of character and personality
- Developed personalities
- Economic progress
- Economic programs
- Credit and cash
- Many countries now face an economic downturn so it is better for each country to focus on its problems rather than helping other countries. To what extent do you agree or disagree? Use specific reasons and examples to support your position.
- Some developed countries have unemployed citizens. Why do you still want to immigrate to those countries? Give answers with reasons and specific examples.
Law and order
- In many countries, the age of criminals is going down. Write an answer with reasons and solutions to the problem.
- Some people believe that once a criminal will always be a criminal. Do you speak for or against this statement?
- Many people are behaving very violently in society. Are there ways to prevent them? Speak in support and give solutions to stop such behavior.
- Nowadays women and men spend equally on Beauty products and cosmetics. This was not so in the past. What is the reason behind such behaviors?
Language and culture
- Some people believe that watching television is a hope for children. Some think that watching television is not good for children. Which one do you support and why?
- Some people say that success comes with hard work. While some people think that success comes from luck. Which one do you agree with and why?
- Even when rich countries help poor countries economically, there are still issues related to hunger and diseases. What are the causes and solutions to these issues?
- Obesity is a serious problem. Discuss the causes and the solutions to obesity.