Types of IELTS exam:
The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is the most popular and crucial test for evaluating English language proficiency throughout the world. It is vital for non-native English speakers who want to work, study or migrate to an English-speaking country to take it. The test content is created by a global expert team and is based on extensive research while being completely unbiased and fair for every single candidate. Before you learn how to register for the IELTS exam, you should know about the two formats in which you can take the English language proficiency test. There are two kinds of IELTS examinations, namely IELTS Academic and General Training. The former is taken by those willing to enroll for postgraduate or undergraduate courses at colleges and universities in English speaking nations. The latter is taken by those applying for secondary education or professionals looking for work experience and those looking to migrate to countries like the UK, Australia, Canada, and New Zealand.
IELTS eligibility and registration:
There are no specific eligibility criteria to take the IELTS exam. However, the test is recommended for candidates who are aged 16 or above.
The IELTS test is available on 48 pre-decided days per year, depending upon the demand. The aspirants are free to take the test on any day as per their convenience. They can also re-attempt the test as many times as they want to achieve their desired score.
You can register for IELTS either via IDP or British Council, both being the organizing bodies of the exam. Let us explore how:
How to register for the IELTS exam at IDP?
Wondering how to register for the IELTS exam with IDP? There are both online and offline options available for the same.
Option 1- Register for the IELTS exam online and you can pay the test charge via credit card. All you need is a valid credit card for booking the exam online.
- Visit ieltsidpindia.com
- Choose Register for IELTS
- Choose your desired test day and location (you will be able to view seats available)
- Fill out the application form online
- Make the payment via credit card (Visa/Master)
- You’ll get seat booking instantly along with the acknowledgement
You should remember to courier some important papers to the IDP Head Office, i.e. IDP Education India Pvt. Ltd. The address is Global Gateway Towers, Tower-B, 5th Floor, Sikanderpur Ghosi, Sector-26, M.G. Road, Gurugram-122002, Haryana, India. You will have to courier the following for your IELTS exams-:
- Photocopies of the first and last pages of the passport and any other observation pages. Candidates should carry the original copy on the day of the test.
- You will view the confirmation on your computer screen once you register for the IELTS exam. You should print and bring this on your examination date. A confirmation copy should also be sent via email, or a hard copy should be sent upon finishing the application form.
Option 2- Offline registration at IDP Branch or through Input Node
Go to IDP head office/branch or even your nearest input node and use any of these ways to register:
- Register online from the office and make payment via credit card. Get instant confirmation of the seat.
- Give the passport photocopy and observation pages along with the signed terms and conditions.
- Take the acknowledgement letter which confirms your seat.
- Take your application form and complete it.
- Sign the terms and conditions page.
- Attach your passport photocopy.
- Pay your test fee either via debit/credit card or demand draft in favour of IDP EDUCATION INDIA PRIVATE LIMITED, Payable at New Delhi. You can also pay via cash deposited in any ICICI Bank branch through the customized deposit slip which may be taken from the IDP branch office or input node. You can even download this from the IDP website. You have to give the original customer a copy of this slip to the branch office/input node.
- You can request the input node/branch staff to enter the application form into the online registration framework immediately and provide the instant booking acknowledgement and tentative reservation of the seat. Your confirmation will only be subject to realizing the demand draft
Third Option- You can register through courier and pay your fees via ICICI/Allahabad deposit slips or demand draft.
- Download application form at www.ieltsidpindia.com or get the same from your nearest input node/branch office.
- Complete this form and sign the sheet for terms and conditions.
- Attach your passport photocopy.
- Attach the test fee demand draft in favor of IDP EDUCATION INDIA PRIVATE LIMITED, Payable at New Delhi. You may attach the original ICICI deposit slip copy obtained through cash deposit in the nearest ICICI Bank branch.
- Courier the application form with all documents and the test charge to IDP Education Pvt. Ltd, Global Gateway Towers, Tower-B, 5th Floor, Sikanderpur Ghosi, Sector-26, M.G. Road, Gurugram-122002, Haryana, India. The application will be reviewed upon receiving the courier and seat will be allotted on the basis of availability.
The test charges are about Rs. 14,700 (including all taxes).
Register for IELTS exam with British Council
Want to know how to register for the IELTS exam online in India? Here are the steps to be followed:
- Go to the site- https://ieltsregistration.britishcouncil.org/test-chooser.
- Hit Register for Test.
- Choose test, test type, available date in your desired location.
- Provide information for registration.
- Put up a passport photocopy.
- Choose the colleges where you wish to dispatch the scorecard
- Go through all information before making your payment.
- Pay for the test online.
- Upon making payment, aspirants may print out the receipt of acknowledgement.
When to register?
If you were wondering how many days before I have to register for the IELTS exam, then you should know that the earlier the better! Applications are processed and seats confirmed on a first come first serve basis or availability. You can also apply in person at the British Council office.
You should however know that IDP has purchased the English testing system of the British Council in India. Hence, all further testing will be processed and organized by IDP only.
Payment modes acceptable for IELTS test fees:
There are numerous modes of payment for the IELTS exam. These include the following:
- Demand draft- It should be in favor of “IDP EDUCATION INDIA PRIVATE LIMITED, Payable at New Delhi” and should only be made from a list of banks that are approved.
- Debit/Credit Cards (Master/Visa) and Net Banking facilities.
● Bank deposits may be done in ICICI or Allahabad Bank branches via customized deposit slips available at IDP branch offices or referral partners or even downloaded from the official IDP India website. It is compulsory to attach the original customer copy of the payment deposit slip in addition to the application form to register for the IELTS examination.